In recent years, a fitness revolution has been making waves, quite literally, as more individuals discover the benefits of aquatic fitness. Amidst this surge, spa pools have emerged as versatile spaces that not only provide relaxation but also serve as ideal environments for low-impact yet highly effective water workouts.
In this article, we’ll explore the world of aquatic fitness with Jet Spas, take a look into the unique advantages of exercising in water, and provide sample routines tailored for spa pools.
Note: Before embarking on any fitness regime, always consult your doctor first.
Benefits of Aquatic Fitness in Spa Pools:
Low-Impact, High Resistance
- One of the primary advantages of aquatic fitness is the low-impact nature of the exercises. Water’s buoyancy reduces joint stress, making it an excellent option for individuals with arthritis, joint pain, or those recovering from injuries. Despite the low-impact nature, water provides natural resistance, creating an environment where muscles can be toned and strengthened.
Enhanced Cardiovascular Health
- Spa pools offer an environment conducive to cardiovascular workouts. Water resistance challenges the cardiovascular system, promoting increased heart rate and improved circulation. Engaging in regular water-based exercises can contribute to better heart health and overall cardiovascular fitness.
Improved Flexibility and Range of Motion
- Exercising in water allows for a wide range of motion, helping to improve flexibility and joint mobility. The resistance provided by water supports gentle stretching, making it an ideal setting for individuals looking to enhance their flexibility without risking strain.
Calorie Burning and Weight Management
- Water workouts can be surprisingly effective for calorie burning. The resistance of the water requires more effort from the muscles, leading to a higher calorie expenditure. Additionally, the buoyancy of water reduces the impact on joints, enabling individuals with weight concerns to engage in effective workouts without excessive strain.
Here Are Some Sample Aquatic Fitness Routines for Spa Pools
Water Aerobics Circuit:
- Start with gentle warm-up exercises like walking or jogging in place.
- Move into a series of aerobic exercises, such as leg lifts, knee lifts, and jumping jacks.
- Incorporate arm movements, like lateral raises and bicep curls, to engage the upper body.
- Conclude with water-based stretches to cool down.
Aquatic Strength Training:
- Utilise water resistance for strength training exercises like leg lifts, squats, and lunges.
- Incorporate the spa pool’s edge for modified push-ups or tricep dips.
- Use water dumbbells or resistance gloves to enhance the intensity of upper body exercises.
Cardio and Core Workout:
- Engage in water jogging or brisk walking for cardiovascular benefits.
- Include core exercises like abdominal twists, leg lifts, and flutter kicks to target the core muscles.
- Integrate water treading or bicycle kicks to challenge the core and lower body further.
Swim Spas: Elevating Aquatic Fitness to the Next Level
In aquatic fitness, swim spas are versatile and dynamic tools, offering many benefits that take water workouts to new heights. Combining the features of a traditional spa pool with the functionality of a swimming pool, swim spas provide a controlled current for continuous swimming, creating an endless pool experience.
The adjustable current intensity in swim spas caters to users of various fitness levels, making it an ideal space for leisurely swims and intense aquatic workouts. The compact design of swim spas allows for year-round use, ensuring that individuals can harness the benefits of aquatic fitness regardless of the season.
Beyond the cardiovascular and muscular benefits, swim spas promote enhanced balance and coordination as users engage in resistance-based exercises. The soothing hydrotherapy features inherent in swim spas also contribute to post-workout relaxation, making them a comprehensive solution for those seeking a holistic approach to fitness and well-being.
Here is A Sample Exercise Routine Designed For A Swim Spa:
This routine incorporates a mix of cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and flexibility exercises to provide a comprehensive workout experience. Remember to tailor the intensity and duration based on your fitness level, and always consult with a healthcare professional before starting a new exercise program.
Warm-up (5 minutes):
- Start with a gentle swim against the current at a moderate pace to raise your heart rate and warm up your muscles.
- Perform dynamic stretches in the water, including arm circles, leg swings, and torso twists.
Cardiovascular Workout (15 minutes)
Swimming Sprints (5 minutes):
- Sprint against the current for 30 seconds, followed by 30 seconds of easy swimming or treading water for recovery. Repeat this cycle for 5 minutes.
Water Jogging (5 minutes):
- Jog in place or move around the swim spa against the current for 5 minutes. Focus on lifting your knees and engaging your core.
Side-to-Side Jumps (5 minutes):
- Stand in the middle of the swim spa and jump laterally from side to side, landing softly. This exercise engages the lower body and improves agility.
Strength Training (15 minutes)
Resistance Band Exercises (5 minutes):
- Attach resistance bands to the swim spa or use water dumbbells for added resistance.
- In the water, perform exercises such as bicep curls, lateral raises, and leg lifts.
Water Push-ups (5 minutes):
- Utilise the edge of the swim spa for modified push-ups. This exercise targets the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
Leg Press (5 minutes):
- Stand with your back against the current and perform leg presses by pushing your legs against the resistance of the water.
Flexibility and Cool Down (10 minutes)
Water Walking Lunges (5 minutes):
- Take long strides forward, performing walking lunges in the water to stretch and strengthen the lower body.
Floating Stretch (5 minutes):
- Float on your back and perform gentle stretches, such as reaching your arms overhead or bringing your knees toward your chest.
Hydrotherapy Relaxation (5 minutes):
- Conclude your workout with a period of hydrotherapy relaxation. Allow yourself to float or gently tread water to enjoy the soothing and therapeutic effects of the swim spa.
Remember to listen to your body, stay hydrated, and adjust the intensity based on your fitness level. This swim spa exercise routine offers a well-rounded approach to cardiovascular fitness, strength training, flexibility, and relaxation.
As spa pools become recognised for their relaxation benefits, and as spaces for holistic well-being, the fusion of aquatic fitness and hydrotherapy offers a unique and enjoyable approach to staying fit. The low-impact, high-resistance nature of water workouts makes them accessible to individuals of all fitness levels.
Not sure what size spa pool will suit your needs for exercising? Read this article.
By incorporating these sample routines into your spa pool sessions, you can journey towards improved cardiovascular health, enhanced flexibility, and an overall sense of well-being. Embrace the aquatic fitness revolution and let your spa pool be the gateway to a healthier, more invigorating lifestyle.
Jet Spas can provide you with a spa pool in Auckland or anywhere else in New Zealand. And they offer expertise in creating spa pools that seamlessly integrate with the region’s weather patterns. Ensuring a serene and enjoyable experience, no matter the season. To embark on the journey of year-round spa pool indulgence. Reach out to Jet Spas today and transform your backyard by selecting the perfect spa pool for your home from a diverse range of spa pools for sale.
FLEXIBLE SHIPPING. Jet Spas will deliver to your home and even into place anywhere in New Zealand.
Phone: 0508 JET SPA
(0508 538 772)